Better off in work?

Posted by Ian, CCAB.

Updated 1310 days ago in: Information Sharing


With the roll-out of Universal Credit (to certain new claimants) beginning soon in Charnwood, it is worth noting that for people who claim help with mortgage interest as homeowners, Universal Credit is different to existing income based benefits.
A claimant will not get any help with mortgage interest if they have any earned income however low the earnings are.
Examples of earnings for UC include: wages,fees,holiday pay and refunds of income tax or national insurance.
However, some income is ignored for UC. For example, if you rent a room in your own home, this is not taken into account, as the income comes from capital that is disregarded-the capital in your own home. This does not apply to income from a house that you rent out but you do not live in.